Dr. Yoselin Benitez-Alfonso – Group leader
Group Leader and Lecturer in Plant Sciences.
Brief CV: Born in Havana, Cuba, studied Bachelor in Chemistry at the University of Cordoba, Spain.
Graduated in 2003 with a PhD in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of Cordoba under the supervision of Prof. Juan Munoz-Blanco and Gabriel Dorado.
Postdoctoral researcher at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY, USA (2004-2009) mentored by Prof. David Jackson.
Postdoctoral researcher at John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK (2009-2013) mentored by Prof. Andrew Maule followed by a year working with Dr. Veronica Grieneisen.
Lecturer position (2013- to date) at the Centre for Plant Sciences, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, UK
Richa Yeshvekar – Postdoctoral researcher
Liam German – PhD student
Emily Newcombe – PhD Student
Emily joined the lab in 2020 as an MRes student and progressed into PhD study as part of the 2021 Bragg Centre studentship cohort.
Emily’s research looks at dissecting the structure and composition of lignocellulosic wastes, assessing their potential for use as alternative sources of cellulose and other cell wall components for industrial applications
Lazar Novakovic – Postdoctoral researcher
Pallavi Kumari – Postdoctoral researcher
Brigita Simonaviciene – PhD student
Former lab members
- Jumana Akhtar – Research technitian
- Besiana Sinanaj – PhD student
- Dr Sam Amsbury – Postdoctoral researcher
- Philip Kirk – PhD student
- Dr Candelas Paniagua Correas – Postdoctoral researcher
- Rocio Gaudioso-Pedraza – PhD Student
- Dr Radwa Abou-Saleh El Moursi – Postdoctoral researcher
- Mercedes Hernandez-Gomez – Postdoctoral fellow
- Dr. Ambra de Simone. Postdoctoral 2016 (3 months)
- Dr. Sean Stevenson. Postdoctoral 2016 (3 months)
Visiting lab members
- Cristina Sánchez Raya – PhD Student
- Naomi Simmons – MSc Student